CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Book Review - Stolen (Women of the Underworld, Book Two) by Kelley Armstrong

Book Description
In Bitten, thirty-year-old Elena Michaels came to terms with her feral appetites and claimed the proud identity of a beautiful, successful woman — and the only living female werewolf.

In Stolen, on a mission for her own elite pack, she is lured into the net of ruthless Internet billionaire Tyrone Winsloe, who has funded a bogus scientific investigation of the “other races” and their supernatural powers. Kidnapped and studied in his underground lab deep in the Maine woods, these paranormals — witches, vampires, shamans, werewolves — are then released and hunted to the death in a real-world video game. But when Winsloe captures Elena, he finally meets his match.

***
April 5

Stolen was violent, bloody, twisted, and I loved it! Elena is a great character and the book is written with an easy style and some dry humor thrown in for good measure. Sure, it was slow-starting and there were some parts that were drawn out too long, but I enjoyed the ride when it picked up. I can't wait to get to Kelley Armstrong's other books.

4.25/5 stars

***

Book Description
Elena Michaels seems like the typically strong and sexy modern woman. She lives with her architect boyfriend, writes for a popular newspaper, and works out at the gym. She's also a werewolf.

Elena has done all she can to assimilate to the human world, but the man whose bite changed her existence forever, and his legacy, continue to haunt her. Thrown into a desperate war for survival that tests her allegiance to a secret clan of werewolves, Elena must reckon with who, and what, she is in this passionate, page-turning novel.

***
May 22, 2007

I was fully thinking of giving this book a rating of 4 until the last hundred or so pages, so I upped it to 4 1/2. For most of the book, I thought the writing and pacing were both well-done, the characters interesting, and overall it was an enjoyable read. I didn’t realize that the romance was such a big part of the book, but I wouldn’t classify this as paranormal romance in the usual sense of the genre, it’s much more than that.

The reason I’m not giving this a ten is because of some things that bothered me: (1) the constant bickering between Elena and Clay was irritating, (2) all Elena wanted was a home but she already had it with the pack, and (3) Elena changing her personality to be “normal.” I can forgive number two because Elena would be the last person to figure that out since she’s the one who has the problem. I can also forgive number three because people do want to fit in and will change to do that. Just because I forgive doesn’t mean I can’t have a slight problem with them though. :P Another thing was that while I liked and sympathized with Elena, I didn’t exactly feel for her until around the two-thirds point.

I did think this was a very good and well thought-out werewolf tale, especially with the politics of a pack combined with the real world. Actually, I thought it was realistic and liked how the members had a bit of freedom. This was unlike some other books such as Kitty and the Midnight Hour, which I hated the way the pack was portrayed in that book. Also, there were threads of dry humor thrown in so seamlessly that they could be missed, especially because I didn’t notice them until about one-third of the way in; I liked that because they were almost exactly what I would have said/thought. I haven’t read too many werewolf books but thought this was an excellent interpretation and look forward to the next book.

4.5/5 stars

0 comments: