CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Book Review - Rising Darkness (Dark Enchantments, Book 2) by Cynthia Cooke


Book Description
CAN TRUE LOVE TRIUMPH OVER EVIL?

Demon hunter, vampire and member of the Cadre, Damien Hancock has come to Wolvesrain to help Emma McGovern defend herself against a powerful demon. For if Emma finds love - and consummates that love - the demon Asmos will fulfill a generations-old curse and claim her soul. Damien knows just how powerful the ancient demon is, but he never anticipated the all-consuming effect courageous Emma would have on him.

Having led a sheltered life within the walls of her ancestral estate, Emma senses that Damien, like her, carries too much pain and loneliness in his heart. But as their attraction proves impossible to resist, Emma fears it is the curse that is drawing them together. Can the love she has found in Damien's strong arms now help her fight the rising darkness?

***
April 24

I'm having trouble forming sentences from my thoughts so I'm just going to list them instead. :)

Emma and Damien were likable enough characters, even if their 'woe is me' routines got a bit annoying, luckily that got progressively better as the book went on. My main problem was that their romance took a bit of a backseat to the curse and vampires and I didn't quite buy it at the end.
The concept of the Cadre was interesting and I'd like to read the other Dark Enchantment books for an expansion on the organization.
Some scenes were rather graphic and took me a bit by surprise because I don't usually find those things in a Silhouette book, but they weren't such a big deal.
The writing was very good, even if some spots were a tad boring, and I'll be sure to look for more Cynthia Cooke books in the future.
Overall it's not the best paranormal romance I've read, but it kept my interest and entertained me all the same.

3.5 stars

0 comments: