CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Book Review - A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones, Book One) by Katie MacAlister

Book Description
Joy Randall's Top 5 Tips for Vampire Hunters

1. Location, location, location. Remember, if you wouldn't be there, neither would a bloodsucker. They won't be found dead (ha!) in places like discos, ten-minute lube shops, or Switzerland. Check the Czech Republic.

2. Trust your eyes. You know the handsome, annoyingly arrogant, self-assured man in the shadows with long hair and a cleft in his chin? He's your vampire.

3. No matter how tempting it might be, DO NOT "ACCIDENTALLY" ACQUIRE A PAPER CUT AND SUGGEST YOUR VAMPIRE KISS YOUR FINGER TO MAKE IT BETTER. What you offer as a snack, he might take for a four-course meal.

4. From here on out, play it cool. Don't offer to accompany your prince of the night on the talk show circuit and WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T OFFER HIM YOUR HEART.

5. And most of all, remember - being a vampire is nothing to laugh about.

***
March 14

A Girl's Guide to Vampires was a nice and pleasant surprise. While I do get tired of Katie MacAlister's same heroine in every book I read, I could tolerate Joy more that most others. But lord can they be moronic, and not in a good way. I do wish she could expand her female leads to be different in both of their physical and mental aspects, and not be the same old monotonous ones over and over again. Always my gripe.

Now on to the rest of the book...
The storyline was interesting, there was some hilarious moments, and overall I enjoyed it better than most of the contemporary romances Ms. MacAlister has written. I am very intrigued by Christian and can't wait to read his book in this series. Roxy, on the other hand, reminded me of a little, annoying, rabid yappy dog. Yes, she could provide entertainment, but if I knew someone like that, I'd go insane, or else commit homicide. Otherwise the book was fine entertainment but not a keeper for me. Probably the main reason I read the whole book was because of the intriguing Christian and wondering about his fate.

3.75/5 stars

0 comments: